An outbreak at 'Bovas’ petrol station in
Osogbo on Wednesday caused
pandemonium as two children of the same
mother were burnt to death, the News
Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
An eyewitness who spoke on condition of
anonymity, told NAN that the victims were
children of the owner of the station
located in front of Osogbo Grammar
School.
He said that the mother of the children
also suffered burns in the process of
trying to rescue her children.
The Director of the state Fire Service, Mr Michael Ogundipe, who confirmed the incident while speaking with journalists said that two lives were lost in the fire and that the cause of the fire had yet to be determined. “We responded immediately we were called and sent two vehicles. We have equipment but there was congestion on the road which slowed down our movement. “We met the fire burning and observed that the construction of the building did not follow the guideline. “There was no exit route. No fire extinguisher was there. They would have been able to battle the fire if they had extinguishers,” he said. The director said that the remains of the children had been deposited at the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology morgue while their mother was also receiving treatment at the same hospital. Some other eyewitnesses said the woman and her three children were inside the mini market attached to the filling station when the fire started, adding that she succeeded in rescuing one of the children. Fire-fighters were still battling to put off the fire which also destroyed a Toyota Corolla car as at the time of filing this report. Some sympathisers who spoke to NAN correspondent at the scene, described the owner of the station was one of the most honest petroleum marketers in the state. They called on security agencies to conduct proper investigation to know the cause of the fire
The Director of the state Fire Service, Mr Michael Ogundipe, who confirmed the incident while speaking with journalists said that two lives were lost in the fire and that the cause of the fire had yet to be determined. “We responded immediately we were called and sent two vehicles. We have equipment but there was congestion on the road which slowed down our movement. “We met the fire burning and observed that the construction of the building did not follow the guideline. “There was no exit route. No fire extinguisher was there. They would have been able to battle the fire if they had extinguishers,” he said. The director said that the remains of the children had been deposited at the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology morgue while their mother was also receiving treatment at the same hospital. Some other eyewitnesses said the woman and her three children were inside the mini market attached to the filling station when the fire started, adding that she succeeded in rescuing one of the children. Fire-fighters were still battling to put off the fire which also destroyed a Toyota Corolla car as at the time of filing this report. Some sympathisers who spoke to NAN correspondent at the scene, described the owner of the station was one of the most honest petroleum marketers in the state. They called on security agencies to conduct proper investigation to know the cause of the fire

No comments:
Post a Comment