Leicester City star N'Golo Kante needs to play at the highest
level for a "big team" in Europe, former Chelsea midfielder
Claude Makelele has said.
Kante, 25, has enjoyed a rapid rise over the past year since
arriving in English football from Caen, playing a key role in
Leicester's shock Premier League title triumph and breaking
His positioning and skill at breaking up opposition attacks
from the base of midfield has seen Kante compared to
compatriot Makelele, who won back-to-back Premier League
titles in a Chelsea team that set a competition record for
fewest goals conceded (15) in the 2004-05 season.
The Blues are reportedly stepping up their attempts to sign
Kante, who has a clause in his Leicester contract that allows
him to be sold for a bid exceeding £20 million, and Makelele
believes his countryman is ready for a bigger stage.
"I enjoyed the way I had to play, this position made me
happy," Makelele told The Sun. "My men, I wanted to make
them happy, the players behind me happy -- I didn't need to
score, the good things came after.
"This job is very difficult, but I loved it. I don't want N'Golo
Kante to be compared with me. Kante can be Kante. I want
him to be more than me, but I love to watch him play because
you can see in him the joy. I love the kind of player like that,
who plays for the team.
"Sometimes you see a team with big players, but for me
whenever a team is winning it is because of spirit.
"He arrived in a good way, now he wants to play in the
Champions League. It's another competition, another stress,
just like the national team. He needs to get everything from
every experience.
"He still has the same way of playing, the same happiness,
but he needs to play in a big team."
Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal and Shanghai SIPG have also
been credited with an interest in signing Kante, but the Daily
Telegraph reports that Leicester are preparing to make a last-
ditch attempt to keep the midfielder by offering him a new
contract that would make him the highest-paid player at the
club.
No comments:
Post a Comment